Cardinal Village was built at the turn of the 20th Century to serve the nearby Gold Mine. The Village changed hands several times until the 1930's when it was shut down. In 1946 The Cardinal Village was revived with Lodging, a cafe and store, to serve the needs of fishermen, and the tiny surrounding community of Aspendell.
This old house located along the 95A highway at the Carson River is maintained as a museum and historic site by Nevada's state park system. It's also a nice little rest or picnic stop for travelers.
The historic marker on the property reads as follows:
"Samuel S. Buckland was a true pioneer. He settled here in 1859, began a ranching operation, established a station for the Overland Stage Company and operated a tent hotel. He also constructed the first bridge across the Carson River downstream from the town of Genoa.